Robert Hutchinson was the architect and designer of the chapel and cemetery.
He was born in St Ives to Jane and John Hutchinson in 1828. He studied in London under two leading architects and went on to remodel Hartford Church and designed the Church Hall in Ferrars Road for All Saints Church. He also rebuilt the front of the George Hotel and during his appointment as Borough Surveyor by the Corporation, he restored the Grammar school and built the new Headmaster’s boarding house.
He married Mary Ann Gunnis in 1854 and when he died in 1890, he was buried in the Cemetery that he designed.